About Mrs. Koo

Hello there everyone!  My name is Amy Koo (Mrs. Koo to some of you),  and I am the music teacher at Root Elementary School.  I am looking forward to meeting each and every one of you, and hope that I can provide the kind of music instruction that will encourage and inspire you to make music in your life everyday!

So, let me introduce myself.  I was born in Louisiana and raised in Virginia, thanks to being in a military family.  Actually, my father was a member of the Air Force Band.  He began by playing the clarinet, but by the time he retired he was mostly playing the electric bass.  As you can imagine I was around music all the time!  I started piano lessons in third grade (but dropped out before middle school- something I still regret to this day!) and was involved in both band and chorus throughout my middle and high school years.

I attended Appalachian State University from 2001-2005, and after student teaching at Leesville Road High School in Raleigh, I graduated Magna Cum Laude.  Right after graduation I started by teaching band at Lexington Senior High School, in Lexington NC.  Can you believe that by the end of my time at Lexington I had spent 10 years straight involved in marching bands?!

While I was at LSHS I met the love of my life, Bobby, and followed him back to Raleigh.  For  five years I worked at Micro-Pine Level Elementary School in Johnston County- and boy was I been busy!  During that time I finished my Master’s Degree at the University of North Carolina, Greensboro and received my National Board for Professional Teaching License.

I have an extremely diverse interest in all kinds of music.  I have been in concert bands, choirs, marching bands, handbell choirs and even a Taiko group!  I love music of all kinds, and can’t wait to make music with all of you!  My favorite kind of music lessons involve any kind of technology, world music, or playing instruments.

Attach0 2

I have two children; Mia (6), and Richie (4), as well as my siblings Kent (17), Kyla (15) and Kevin (13) who live with us and my grandmother Alice (93!).  We also have a chihuahua named Chibi.                                

I will be sharing some of our adventures here on this blog, so keep checking back!  Hope to see you soon!GCE_Badges_01GCE_Badges_02

Koo Resume

One thought on “About Mrs. Koo